IMPORTANT NEWS: National Electric Vehicle Sweden has agreed to buy the assets of Saab Automobile and the sale is expected to be finalized during the summer.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Getting prepared

Tomorrow I will pick up my brand new Saab 9-5. Thankfully the dealer is taking care of most of the paperworks and he will get the car registered and get the number plates. What I need to do today is getting the car insured and transfer the agreed purchase price to the seller. Since this is Norway, the purchase price is equal to something like a year's salary (before tax) or a small house! 


The car prices in Norway are crazy. We pay 25 per cent VAT, but in addition to that, we also pay a special car tax when the car is registered for the first time. This special tax is calculated on the basis of co2 emission, engine kW and the curb weight of the car. This adds € 22 000 to the price!


Here's a comparison of the price of the Saab 9-5 Sedan Vector 2.0TiD in selected European countries (taken from the build your car feature at Saab online):


Norway: € 63 093
Sweden: € 37 321
Germany: € 38 400
The Netherlands: € 47 000
UK: € 32 786

I live just a few kilometers from the Swedish border so maybe I should move there? I would save a considerable amount when buying the car or I could go for the top of the line Aero instead! Maybe some day...