IMPORTANT NEWS: National Electric Vehicle Sweden has agreed to buy the assets of Saab Automobile and the sale is expected to be finalized during the summer.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Saab PhoeniX in Stockholm - report from Saab's Spring exhibition pt 2

A little over a week ago I saw the Saab PhoeniX. It was at the Spring Saab exhibition in Stockholm. The moment I entered into the mess hall, my eyes was drawn to the PhoeniX. I walked straight passed the new Saab 9-4X and the 9-5 SportCombi. There was no doubt that the PhoeniX was the star of the show.


When I one month earlier first saw pictures of the Saab PhoeniX, I liked what I saw but I couldn't recognize the simple and clean Scandinavian design that is Saab. You can see a Saab grille, a Sonett rear and a tear drop shaped canopy, but overall the car seemed to have too many lines and shapes. My impression was to change when I saw the car in real life.


So there I was at the Saab exhibition. Staring at the PhoeniX. Walking around the PhoeniX. Taking photos of the PhoeniX. And what I noticed is that when you look beyond the wavy shapes on the bonnet and the air diffusers on both sides of the canopy, the rest of the car really has clean lines.

Let's start at the front.

The Saab grille, which seems like a big and hungry mouth.  


The wavy bonnet has just a tad to much shapes for me.

The head lamps looks like eyes.





Clean cut wheel arches.


The next generation turbine wheels. Looks great and maybe even lighter than ordinary allow wheels?

 

The air ducts behind the front wheel and the air canals under the doors.

 


The body seems like one aerodynamic whole.




The side diffusers which improves the aerodynamics.





On the far rear the body has a small integrated spoiler.




Tail lights, with the good ol' Saab logo on the top.





Minimalist interior that needs some more work. The switches on the lower center console is a bit too minimalist for me.





The spectacular seats that I want in my next Saab, but which I won't get until maybe the Saab thereafter.




After seeing the Saab PhoeniX in Stockholm last weekend, I am 100 percent confident that Jason Castriota and Victor Muller will make the upcoming 9-3 replacement a great car!