IMPORTANT NEWS: National Electric Vehicle Sweden has agreed to buy the assets of Saab Automobile and the sale is expected to be finalized during the summer.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Head-Up Display

Last month I wrote a owner's review of my new Saab 9-5. You might remember that I wasn't totally convinced that the HUD was all good. Now, five weeks later, the HUD is starting to feel like a necessity. The past weeks I have had it on constantly and I more or less have stopped looking at the speedometer. Why should I take my eyes off the road when all the info I need is there on the windshield?

When you start the car, the HUD displays the good old SAAB logo:




You can chose between three different views on the HUD.


Speed and RPM:

 Speed:


Speed and temperature:



The HUD works with the front park sensor and gives a graphic display of the distance:

Close enough!


It also display navigation information:



Setting the cruise speed:



In addition to speed, temperature, RPM and the different information shown above, the HUD also displays a high beam symbol if you have the high beams on and it tells you when the traction control system or electronic stability program is activated. It also shows different alerts.

I can honestly tell you that when I get my next Saab, I will get the HUD again. So Saab, please include a HUD in the upcoming new 9-3!