IMPORTANT NEWS: National Electric Vehicle Sweden has agreed to buy the assets of Saab Automobile and the sale is expected to be finalized during the summer.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Got my Saab 9-5 a brain update

Those who have been readers of my blog since last year might remember that I had a not so very pleasant experience with my new Saab 9-5 when it wouldn't start. This is a well known problem and has also been documented by Swedish car magazine Vi Bilägare.

What happens is when you press the ignition button to start the car, you get a message that the "Steering lock needs service" (translated from Swedish "Rattlås behöver service" - I don't know what the precise message is in English) and the car locks up with the ignition on but will not start. When it happened to me, the car wouldn't lock the doors either and it flashed the indicator lights. But 15 minutes later it started like nothing had happened. For me this hasn't been a big issue. I had the problem once and got a good advice to turn power of with the start/stop button if this message appeared. Since then I have gotten the same message in the info display two or three times and I have followed the advice and the car started with no problem.

But today my car got a software update that should take care of this little issue once and for all. So if you have also experienced this issue, then now is the time to visit your dealer to get it fixed! :)